Monday, January 18, 2010

Easy Entertaining

Well, here it is- our first round of posts! Is it weird I'm nervous? I'll try to include my fair share of recipes and kitchen tips- but, truth be told Jeanette is the "chef" I'm more the apprentice. Therefore when I do pull off a fairly decent meal- I tend to savor those moments, so this first post will be about my home cooked goodness from last night.

Jeanette and her hubby came over to hang out, dine and kick off this "AWESOME BLOG" so I decided to keep the food casual but semi healthy.

The Menu
Tzatziki Sauce with Whole Wheat Pitas
Greek Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
and Whole Wheat Grilled Pizzas

I apologize in advance for my lack of photos- but in my defense, the food was consumed before this blog was completely launched. In the future- I'll include illustrations.

The Tzatziki Sauce was super easy-

2 containers of plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1 grated and peeled cucumber
pitch salt and pepper
dash of lemon zest - "to taste"
1/8 cup'ish of minced red onion

Mix it all together and refrigerate before serving.

The Pitas-

All I did was toast these pitas in the oven for a couple of minutes till crispy and chopped into eighths. 8 pita chips- only 60 calories!!

My Delish Greek Salad

* I don't measure for salads, sorry!*

  • Chopped romaine hearts
  • Chopped tomatoes
  • Feta
  • Sliced olives
  • and Diced red onion

The Lemon Vinaigrette

  • Juice from 1/2 a lemon
  • Small squirt of mustard
  • Pitch of minced garlic - "to taste"
  • Olive oil
  • salt/pepper to taste

Mix it all up and pour over the salad right before serving.

Grilled Pizza

This was the first time I made grilled pizza indoors- and let me tell you, it was amazing!! and super easy.

  • Whole wheat pizza dough- ( i bought mine from the deli section of stop and shop)
  • Marinara sauce - ( also store bought- credit to Ragu)
  • Block of mozzarella- grated
  • salt/pepper/Italian seasoning
  • olive oil

Step one- pre heat griddler/ or stove top grill- also the oven to 425 degrees

Step two- break dough into fours and roll out on a floured surface and brush with olive oil

Step three- place rolled out dough on grill- cook about 4 min. on each side- till they have grill marks

Step four- pull pizza off the grill and spread with sauce, cheese and sprinkle with seasoning- bake in pre heated oven till cheese is bubbly

Step five- EAT!

I intend to remake the pizzas again with different toppings- maybe more veggies and fresh mozzarella next time.

But till then I shall enjoy the left overs while being snowed in :)

- Caroline


No comments:

Post a Comment