Sunday, January 24, 2010

Prosciutto and Apple Salad


The other day I spent my entire lunch break in Whole Foods.  I literally could spend all day in that store, I love it there.  I wasn't sure what I'd end up buying but I knew I needed something for dinner.  I decided to check out the cheese counter and try a few samples.  After sampling a couple different cheeses, I ended up with Piave Vecchio, which had the consistency of parmesan but with a nuttier taste.



I also ended up with a few pieces of prosciutto from the deli.  I was thinking of doing something with the cheese and prosciutto in a salad.  

After work, I started looking through what we had in the fridge and decided on a Prosciutto and Apple Salad.  I had some black cherry preserves in the fridge so thought that maybe I could make a vinaigrette with it. Here's how I did it.

Ingredient List
3 cups mesculin greens
3/4 cups Piave Cheese, chopped into shards
1/8 lb. prosciutto, sliced into ribbons
1 granny smith apple
1/2 cup black cherry preserves
3 tbls. olive oil
1 tbsp. lemon juice
Salt and Pepper


Slice the apple into thin pieces.  

Mix together the black cherry preserves, lemon juice and olive oil with a little salt and pepper.  Add the apples to the dressing and stir together, making sure each slice of apple has some dressing on it.

Put about 1 1/2 cups of mesculin onto a plate and top with the apple mixture.  Then top with the prosciutto, followed by the cheese.


It was delicious!  Perfect with a glass of white wine.  

~ Jeannette

No comments:

Post a Comment